View Full Version : med/surg to labor and delivery??

ewahl
03-05-2008, 06:17 PM
I am exploring different specialties in nursing. I currently have 1 1/2 years of med/surg experience. I would love anyone with experience in OB/Labor and Delivery....to let me know how difficult the transition from caring for mostly geriatric patients in med/surg to labor and delivery. I feel like I would have to relearn everything about labor and delivery. I have never had a baby...so I don't even have experience in that area to go by. But I really want to "find my nitch" in nursing....and I need some direction.
Any help would be appreciated! :love:

LesleyJoy
03-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Good for you! Your med-surg experience is a nice foundation upon which to begin to build one or more specialties. Have you approached the manager of your Labor & Delivery Unit? Cross-training to that unit can give you an idea of how the work 'fits' you.

Joy

geenaRN
03-16-2008, 01:21 AM
Joy gave great advice. Contact the L&D manager and at least ask if you can shadow a nurse for a few shifts to see what you think of it. If you think you might like it, ask about open positions and what kind of orientation you'll have.

You got the med/surg experience under your belt - now go for what you are passionate about! Good luck.