View Full Version : A question to all who visit but don't generally post!

Julie
03-20-2008, 05:23 PM
I am intrigued that lots of people either join up but never post or else visit and don;t join.

I would love to know why that is and perhaps what people would like to say or ask but don't actually do it.

So this is my challenge. If you are one of those people, either be brave and post something, or else send me a private message and I will post on your behalf.

Why? Well for a few days now, I have looked in and found nothing new going on and I want things to liven up slightly.

:dancing2::dancing2::party:

Polaris
03-20-2008, 06:22 PM
I visit frequently but don't post much only because someone has either already said what I thought or I don't have much of an opinion on the issue. But I come here almost daily and check for new posts.

I'll have to make more of an effort to post and get to know y'all.

geenaRN
03-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Anyone else? I've also been curious about this; thanks Julie for posting :)

LesleyJoy
03-21-2008, 03:42 AM
Folk,

In my experience, it is not at all unusual for many more people to read than to post to a bulletin board. From my own very limited research, the reasons for remaining on the sidelines varies with the person. Some derive satisfaction from simply reading the threads. The pleasure is akin to that of sitting in front of a television. Others find the threads of interest, but do not feel the need to interject their own opinion(s). Still others feel unable to adequately express themselves in writing, feel uncomfortable in an asynchronous environment, or are hesistant about their welcome.

I enjoy reading Nursing Voices. I also enjoy another bulletin board in which I have been a participant for almost four years. I check each bulletin board for new posts almost every day. I do not post to every thread, however. Sometimes I have nothing to say. And I have learned the hard way that I would rather be thought a fool than to open my mouth and remove all doubt! :rolleyes:

Good thread!

Joy

Nurse Stella
03-21-2008, 09:15 AM
I sometimes wake up in the early morning hours and come here to read what others have to say and find comfort and support. But I'm too half asleep to say anything that would make sense! Plus, in addition to the usual work and home obligations, my elderly mother lives with us and I care for her. Time on line is scarce. But I do enjoy this forum, and will post more when I can!:curtsey:

Bev
aka Nurse Stella

Marachne
03-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Julie, I don't meet your demographic ;) but I have to say you did a good job of getting people talking again!

I think there is a natural waxing and waning of posts. I saw that traffic was down and tried to think of a tread to start(other than my self-congratulatory one), but came up blank. I'm way behind on posting on my blog too, so who knows -- spring fever? (in those places where spring is actually showing signs of arriving -- apologies to the antipodes) March madness? (for the U.S. college basketball fans), getting ready for easter/spring break? phase of the moon? who knows!

Julie
03-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. I also visit other forums and rarely / never post, but just wondered what made people post or not here. I call in several times a day and usually see a few 'guests' and sometimes other members. I often don't post for a few days as I don't always have anything to say and don't like to comment for the sake of it. Looks like I have succeeded in getting a response, but I would still like to hear from people who visit but don't post and would be happy to post on your behalf through a private message if you would prefer.

There is something about the time of year here too Marachne, perhaps with the coming of spring we can inject some new life?

angelbev
03-23-2008, 01:29 PM
plus sometimes the topics are just ones that I won;t post about on a public forum. Anything you post here is searchable by your name on the web. So it is worthwhile to be careful when expressing an opinion.

Plus sometimes the opinions already expressed in the thread seem so foreign to me, that responding would just create conflict and I'd rather not go there.

Polaris
03-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Conflict can be good though - as long as it is managed in a professional way. I love to have professional debates with nurses who feel/believe/practice differently than I do. Why? Because learning from each other is the only way we can expand our horizons.

I've had debates where it completely changed the way I think/practice adn I've had debates where I still thought my ideal was the correct one, but both kinds stimulate my brain and always affect who I am as a person and a nurse.

I would rather hear from people who disagree with my thinking than who always shake their head yes, ya know?

Please jump in with those differing opinions!

Julie
03-23-2008, 07:20 PM
I completely agree. Often there is no right or wrong way, just different people's opinions. As for being able to search and find your opinions and have them found. so long as you haven't posted your full name and address right here on the forum there is nothing to worry about.

Thanks for being so honest Angelbev, I hope you will continue to share your opinions, because it is only if people do that we get an active interesting debate.

Marachne
03-23-2008, 11:38 PM
At the risk of making a "me too" comment, I want to say that I too love to hear from people with differing views, as it stimulates both thought and conversation.

I also think that this forum has proven itself pretty good an carrying on a civilized discourse involving differences of opinions. I know there are people who who have some perspectives and personal values/ethos that are different from mine but we have managed to maintain an appreciation for each other as nurses and individuals--who says lefty, feminist, lesbian JewWitches can't get along with more conservative Christian colleagues? :dancing:

LesleyJoy
03-24-2008, 12:25 PM
...Plus sometimes the opinions already expressed in the thread seem so foreign to me, that responding would just create conflict and I'd rather not go there.

AngelBev,

I understand and applaud your apparent desire to ensure a peaceful environment here in Nursing Voices. Please also consider this: It is entirely possible to "Speak the truth in love," that is, to convey your thoughts with courtesy and grace. In so doing, you add to the general body of knowledge. And who knows, the seeds you plant may one day grow into mighty trees that will give shelter to many!

So, I say, let's all share our stories, experiences, and viewpoints!

Joy

NailsBSN
04-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Well, I am new here and just trying to get a feel for the board. I haven't found a topic yet where I could contribute a meaningful post. Either something was said already or I do not know enough to be able to answer.

Julie
04-07-2008, 03:07 AM
Welcome to Nursing Voices NailsBSN. Great to see you here and hope you return frequently to join in discussions :D

spencer.jj
04-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Oftentimes, I feel overwhelmed by the fact that a majority of the posts are written by a very small minority of the folks on this forum. The minority who write most of the posts tend to be very experienced, as well as wordily opinionated. Opinions and wordiness, are not bad things, in and of themselves.

I think the problem arises when everyone tries to be preemptively apologetic and not step on other's toes. That makes it very difficult for the "silent majority" on this forum to express their opinions, since everyone else is trying so hard not to offend. We're afraid to ruffle anyone's feathers, so we don't post.

We all know that we disagree with a lot of people - it's a part of life that the internet magnifies by bringing people into the Nursing Voices community who would normally never interact within close proximity of each other. Disagreements are bound to happen - be respectful and honest, but don't be afraid to disagree.

Can anyone else think of some more concrete solutions?

Julie
04-07-2008, 01:27 PM
I have to agree that those who post regularly give the impression of being knowledgable, also as nurses we tend to like to give advice. Secondly I would agree that people don't tend to want to disagree with each other all that much.

Having said that, this is not an exclusive club and I hope that we don't give the impression that it is. It would be great to get some different opinions, even if they were differing ones!

Mr Ian
04-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Most people, I would guess, come here to read as they are active learners seeking out a better understanding. Many would probably only visit here (or any other given forum site) in a state of crisis or particular need.

There are few people like me who just come here to give their opinion (I like my opinion and everyone should have a copy).

Most those wanting to learn - are learners, or novices - and perhaps have limited experience to draw from to advise others; even tho they give great common sense ideas sometimes.

The issues that are generally discussed are ones that we cannot resolve in our own head or at work and we seek clarification, validation or information from our peers on here. However, to post is to admit you don't really know the answer and that may seem silly to those more experienced nurses with all the answers (like me).

There are many issues that older/experienced nurses have but they probably become too pragmatic in a global understanding and problem-solving way about nursing to need to nut out the nitty gritty of it all and can file it away.

If you want to encourage more posts, I'd suggest some ethical dilemmas and case studies might stir things up (clue: the ones with no real answers get the longest threads!)

Dutchie
04-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Well, I am new here and just trying to get a feel for the board. I haven't found a topic yet where I could contribute a meaningful post. Either something was said already or I do not know enough to be able to answer.

I'm brand new too. I always have something to say. :pcguru: I don't think it always has to be a meaningful post. Sometimes just friendly encouragement or plain ole friendship is in order.

P/J
09-23-2008, 08:51 AM
I completely agree. Often there is no right or wrong way, just different people's opinions.....

That is the beauty of this forum, it allows people to express their views. I know I have been involved in a few heated discussions on here, but have learnt a lot through them.

As for experience I don't have much in years. But I have seen a lot. No way am I an expert in nursing, but I know what I have seen.

cosep69
12-16-2008, 09:35 AM
I am intrigued that lots of people either join up but never post or else visit and don;t join.

I would love to know why that is and perhaps what people would like to say or ask but don't actually do it.

So this is my challenge. If you are one of those people, either be brave and post something, or else send me a private message and I will post on your behalf.

Why? Well for a few days now, I have looked in and found nothing new going on and I want things to liven up slightly.

:dancing2::dancing2::party:

i think they just want to visit the forum..and only ready some of the topics and advices..

BlueRidge
12-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Well, I mostly stopped posting after being shouted down at another site which shall remain nameless but that ryhmes with "TallNurses". If you are morally and fiscally conservative, you risk the wrath of all...so I just shut up and left that board.:aetsch:

Secondly, I work in an unusual area (Home Health and Hospice) so much of the discsussion centered on hospitals doesn't really interest me that much, except as a pt and consumer. I'd bag groceries at Wal-Mart before I'd risk my sanity and credentials in an impatient setting.:sleep:

Third, many boards are dominated by students (I got 75 questions on my NCLEX did I pass??) and foreign nurses with limited English skills trying to get work in the US, Canada, and Australia. Frankly, I want to share ideas with real nurses in English speaking countries.:call2:

There..is that enough pot-stirring to get us going??

Julie
12-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Well personally I'd love to chat about home nursing as that is my back ground. Plus as a nurse with far too many years experience in an english speaking country there's lots to chat about. Hope no one is shouting you down here!

Jenn Foster
02-04-2009, 02:27 PM
As someone who works for a foundation that offers scholarships, grants & loans for those going to school for nursing, I am concerned with the inability to attract nurse professionals into the field of teaching. The crux of the nursing shortage is the shortage of nurse educators. Without a sufficient number of nurse educators, it is impossible to increase capacity at schools of nursing. Visiting and participating in many forums and blogs, there seems to be too many nurses ready to quit altogether (for reasons not really associated with the vocation of nursing) rather than consider a teaching career, where they can proliferate future nurses with their vast knowlege, devotion and years of experience.

While I am always interested to hear from anyone in the nursing profession on this subject, I am particularly interested to hear from current nurse educators, who would recommend this occupation, as to why they teach and why they would recommend this career path to other nurse professionals. I would also like to hear from those who are considering this career path, but are facing obstacles.

P/J
02-04-2009, 08:05 PM
You mention that there is a need for more nurse educators, and associated this with the nursing shortage in America. I kind of see how this can be tied in with the other issue which has been raised on NV (difficulty getting into nursing school). Is there a need to work around the lack of Nursing Educators and move more towards having preceptorships for nurses, with evaluations and lectures in the hospital setting by a central educator. At the moment the individual teaching institutions hire their own nurses as 'Educators' from the various nursing agencies about the city. I don't think these nurses have any formal teaching qualifications, however they are senior nurses who have been involved in many different areas of nursing, and have usually been ANUMs, etc. Maybe this is the way that nursing eduction will end up going, although there will still be a need for nursing educators in the teaching institutions.

I am sure that the American teaching model is similar to the Australian model, where the teaching institution has their own curriculum which meets the needs of the central registration board.

I'll post a thread on the Students section about teaching styles and how people have/are been taught.

aduvall
03-19-2009, 01:40 PM
With my experiance from another forum...
I have been looking around for a couple of weeks. I joined another nurses forum and have posted a few times.
IMO: I feel these forums are mostly for Nurses and the nurses on these forums do not necessarly like to reply or put too much effort in replying to questions made by those of us that are not nurses.

I'm just starting out and have many questions and I thought this would be a good place to start.

I may be wrong, but thats what I'm feeling. However I cannot judge every forum only the one.

Am I correct? Are us newbie's asking too many questions?
Do you feel this site is mainly for nurses and that non-nurses should look elsewhere?
Thanks for listening.

Julie
03-19-2009, 06:22 PM
All are welcome here, so long as they are not spammers (we have had recent problems). I guess that sometimes people ask the same questions, but generally we are happy to answer anything. We know it is important to encourage people into nursing.

Welcome to Nursing Voices!!

aduvall
03-19-2009, 06:28 PM
All are welcome here, so long as they are not spammers (we have had recent problems). I guess that sometimes people ask the same questions, but generally we are happy to answer anything. We know it is important to encourage people into nursing.

Welcome to Nursing Voices!!

Thank you.
I have found some great information on here and I have been going through all the postings just to be more informed.
Angie

rojan
03-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Old posts usually don't catch attention, and when I see the date of posting, it's either I check on it or simply skip. And most of the time, ideas don't come too quickly.

medical.staffer
01-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Hi! I am a medical staffer and I'm looking for RN's who has at least one year experience to place at Kaiser. Anyone here looking for a job? Travel or per diem. Please email csalangsang@24-hrmed.com or medical.staffer@yahoo.com. Thanks!

ianursing22
01-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Hi everyone! Just dropping by at nursing voices today to see if there's something new=(I noticed that not so many people are posting

medicalpotato
04-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Keep the threads alive. Some posts are really informative and very helpful. :)

lillyrose
12-29-2013, 02:19 AM
I don't post because I feel like an intruder. I ended up a not-nurse (I am a clinical social worker) but sixty years ago I was a student nurse at a major Midwestern teaching hospital---I was halfway through school when I left to get married. I can see that nursing and nursing education have changed beyond anything we could have imagined, so I was curious to learn more. Back in the day, we were all unmarried women. We wore starched white aprons and caps. We lived in a total-immersion nursing culture on the hospital campus. And we were the workhorses of the hospital---we put in a 40-hour week on floors, in ORs, in nurseries, etc---nursing education then was VERY hands-on. Somehow we did this while juggling coursework. In recent years I've been around hospitals a lot as my husband was sick a long time before he died, and I seemed never to see the kind of student presence that defined our life. I wondered how students turn into the extremely competent RNs that I have seen, especially on ICUs and CCUs. I feel intimidated by all the high tech equipment and can't imagine how you folks master it---I could not function five minutes on a floor nowadays. On the other hand, bedside nursing care seems to be terminally ill, if not dead, and I wonder how students feel about that.

accoveny
09-25-2014, 10:31 AM
I am working on the Hepatitis A outbreak from Costco berries...It seems that Hepatitis is not the easy to diagnose:star:. What are the signs you all look for in considering a person may be Hepatitis A positive?

jasaka
02-09-2015, 04:11 PM
I to am new to forums but agree with people who are a little apprehensive about making comments. It is easy to offend someone from a different culture without realising it. I have worked in four countries in senior positions and having to be ultra sensitive to others and learn about their cultures. I have had people using their cultures to have power over collegues, but the older I get the more bolder I have become.:curtsey:

jasaka
02-22-2015, 03:56 PM
I am one of those who visit but don't post. I am new to this. I have worked in the UK Australia and New Zealand. I to have found it difficult to understand my collegues whose first language is not English, and when I have had to ask them to repeat some have made me feel really bad. It has made me aware of how different culture understand what I am saying and have learn to be more precise and speak clearer.:sheep:

Henry_Sy
07-12-2015, 03:21 PM
i think they just want to visit the forum..and only ready some of the topics and advices..

Hi everyone,

I'm actually new here and I just wanted to promote or share a link that I think would be very beneficial for all nurses, why is that so? Personally I went through a phase where in I was questioning myself if I really had that "nurse" thing in me. Turns out I was just too stressed out in my current work environment so I decided to take a 2-week vacation to just relax and take the time out and eventually after going back to the hospital, I realized that all along I had that passion. I really love taking care of people and it gives me satisfaction each time I see a patient recover.

Going back to my main concern, I came across this link while I was on vacation and it totally inspired me and made me realize that I had this "calling" to be a nurse. I hope you can take some time to go this site and I guarantee that you will definitely learn something from it.

http://pacificmedicaltraining.net/2015-Find-Your-Calling.html#sthash.6BvbKyuq.dpuf

Enjoy and Best of Luck! :)

keepyourheadelevated
05-06-2016, 11:56 AM
because you have to be careful not to inadvertently slide on nursing issues,well i do like to post and to share about the new advances in care of patients . :pepsi:

keepyourheadelevated
05-06-2016, 12:05 PM
Possible signs and symptoms of hepatitis A include jaundice, fatigue, Feeling very tired,Yellowing of the skin or eyes (also called jaundice)
Not feeling very hungry,Stomach pain,Dark urine,Nausea,Diarrhea
Low-grade fever. However, not everyone who has hepatitis A will have symptoms. The likelihood appears to be related to a person's age (for example, most children under 6years, who become infected do not have symptoms). If symptoms are present, they usually appear suddenly.