View Full Version : Journal for Clinical Experience?

Do_Good
04-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Hi,

Do any of you have to keep a journal for your clinical experiences? If so, what do you write about? My new instructor said that she would cut our requirement for care plans if we kept a journal.

If you are an instructor, what are you looking for?

Thanks for your help,

Yeah, only 4 more weeks, final on May 6th.

geenaRN
04-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Why don't you ask her what she's looking for? :proud:

P/J
04-11-2008, 09:36 PM
We keep clinical event analysis reports. Every week you have to write on an event, what it was, how it occurred, how as a nurse you solved it (this means not meds allowed unless nurse initiated).

These are submitted.

Otherwise there is reflective journals where you write what you did each day and how you solved any problems that occured, over time this is supposed to show increased application of skills.

runningnurse
04-12-2008, 01:31 AM
Eventhough I'm no longer a student, journals should never take place of care plans. A care plan enables you to look closely at what your patient needs and give you a better perspective on what you want to help them with. A journal is a great way to note how your day has been and what were some of the highlights/lowlights and reflect on them to strengthen your practice. I know they can be a pain in the butt, but in the end it all helps you really figure out who you are as a nurse and gives you a chance to be the best you can be:)

Do_Good
04-13-2008, 08:22 AM
Why don't you ask her what she's looking for? :proud:

We did and I still didn't quite understand what to write. I have never been a reflective journaler (I'm 47) so this is all new to me. Some of the other "kids" in the group have done it and get the whole idea.

"Otherwise there is reflective journals where you write what you did each day and how you solved any problems that occured, over time this is supposed to show increased application of skills."

Thanks. This seems to be the essence of what she wants but in a better description.

"journals should never take place of care plans"

I agree with you to a point. We are nearing the end of our 1st year and have done very many care plans. I agree they have helped me think about a patient and what care they may need based on their diagnosis. In addition to care plans, we have experiences for which we have written assignments. For instance, this rotation in Geri, we have to visit an older person living in an Independant Living Community.
Then write about it following guidelines. During that week, we have to write a care plan based solely on a client's Lab Values.
The journal is only replacing one care plan for the last week which will be the week before finals. We are all grateful to have that last weekend off from having to finish a care plan so we can study. :)

cheapsespix
12-12-2008, 08:53 AM
Hi!
My name is Jessika!

Mr Ian
12-13-2008, 08:14 AM
A reflective journal should have evidence of -
underpinning knowledge; critical analytical thinking - thinking outside the box; synthesis - thinking beyond the box; evidence base and a real person.

Take - a bed bath -
it's not about the temp of the water or the type of soap - but the nature of the interaction that would be more important. But you could throw things in that reflected underpinning knowledge -

"When the skin began to peel off his face I recognised this as a sign the water may be too hot. I've read that some places say you should have the water at 43'C for washing - but they say germs don't die till you boil the water. Luckily we were right next to the maternity suite so I managed to haul him into the birthing pool. Tho I think next time I'll wait until the woman gets out first. All in all though, it was an interesting experience and I'm hoping now the Consultant won't ask me again to get 'hot and steamy' with him in the bathroom."

Or something like that.

Julie
12-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Sounds like your own reflective journal might make interesting reading Ian!!

Mother Jones, RN
12-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Sound like it might make a best seller. :knuddel:

MJ