View Full Version : charge nurses

ch437
05-27-2008, 01:53 PM
At the facility where I work, we are currently in a transition state. I am interested in knowing what you think works or does not work at your facility concerning the job description of a charge nurse. what does a charge nurse do in your facility? Does she take patients? Are the staff nurses satisfied with these job descriptions? If you have any input please reply.

Thanks,
CJ

Mother Jones, RN
05-27-2008, 03:22 PM
That's a very interesting question. There's no difference between a charge nurse and a floor nurse at my hospital. The charge nurse does everything that a floor nurse does in addition to being held responsible for what happens on the unit during his or her shift. There is no extra pay involved, and they are scapegoated when something goes wrong. Still, nurses clamor for the title because it looks good on their resume. Go figure.

MJ :pepsi:

ch437
05-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Does the charge nurse take an equal load of patients as the staff nurses?

Mother Jones, RN
05-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Yes we do, and sometimes we end up taking more patients than the other staff. That's because we usually take all of the new admisssions that come onto the unit during our shift. We take off orders, audit charges and take intakes from other hospitals. It's crazy.

MJ :pepsi:

MyOwnWoman
05-27-2008, 10:08 PM
I work the ED and we utilize the Charge Nurse Position a bit differently than the floors. Our Charge Nurses do not take an assignment. They are responsible for making the assignments; they make sure that each nurse is managing their patient load appropriately and sends help as needed. They also make sure triage is moving smoothly and in times of "overflow" they decide which patients can be placed in halls so that the patients waiting can be seen quicker. The Charge nurse is also responsible for any "problems" that arise with staff, patients and other floors. They direct the flow of the ED and are the ones that have to notify the powers that be with problems (like overcrowding, not moving patients to rooms, the floors trying to bed block....etc.) The Charge Nurse multitasks, takes responsibility when things go wrong and does get paid extra for doing so.