View Full Version : Goodbye studentland

miss-elaine-ious
05-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Hello new grad!

Ok so I have finished nursing school so I no longer qualify to post in this thread... but i'm having lots of anxiety related to work already!

I have had 3 shifts (precepted) in my new job, and I feel like an idiot... like I haven't learned anything yet. Not only that but now I'm in charge of my own practice and I'm worried I'll screw things up bigtime.

I have another 9 precepted shifts, and another 4 months in a mentorship program the government has put in place for new grad nurses, but still, ACK!

I hear the first year is the hardest post-nursing school. Anyone have any tips to get through it?

Elaine

wishNhopeNdreamN
06-01-2008, 09:46 AM
I just wanted to say congratulations on finishing school.

I am just starting ASN classes so I have a ways to go. But, I have heard it gets easier everday. Hang in there before you know if you will be an old pro.

Blessings,
Robin

P/J
06-03-2008, 01:01 AM
Congrats on completing. Four more for me!! You are always welcome back to the students forum.

1. The rule of holes- If you find yourself in one; STOP DIGGING!
2. Most problems can be solved with -stop, breath, think, act. We have a lot of knowledge and the answer is usually in there somewhere.
3. Cover your ass. You didn't study for years for one mistake to ruin it all. Do it safely, do it well, even if it takes all day.

Mother Jones, RN
06-03-2008, 01:26 AM
Congrats on completing. Four more for me!! You are always welcome back to the students forum.

1. The rule of holes- If you find yourself in one; STOP DIGGING!
2. Most problems can be solved with -stop, breath, think, act. We have a lot of knowledge and the answer is usually in there somewhere.
3. Cover your ass. You didn't study for years for one mistake to ruin it all. Do it safely, do it well, even if it takes all day.

I like these tips!

MJ :pepsi:

Mother Jones, RN
06-03-2008, 01:29 AM
Hello new grad!

Ok so I have finished nursing school so I no longer qualify to post in this thread... but i'm having lots of anxiety related to work already!

I have had 3 shifts (precepted) in my new job, and I feel like an idiot... like I haven't learned anything yet. Not only that but now I'm in charge of my own practice and I'm worried I'll screw things up bigtime.

I have another 9 precepted shifts, and another 4 months in a mentorship program the government has put in place for new grad nurses, but still, ACK!

I hear the first year is the hardest post-nursing school. Anyone have any tips to get through it?

Elaine

Congrats! Just do your best, and everything will work out.

MJ :pepsi:

runningnurse
06-03-2008, 10:41 AM
First off- Take a deep breath! You have gotten through the hard part! Congratulations!!!:star: Now it is time to see all that hard work as a success story. The biggest thing i learned as a new grad is that it is NEVER wrong to ask questions! In fact people prefer you to ask questions than to do it yourself and make a mistake. Use your mentor, work with your CNE (clinical nurse educator), and journal about your experiences-good and bad. As time goes by you'll become more and more comfortable in your practice and you'll definitely love it! You didn't put in all that hard work for nothing so enjoy, use your senior nurses and good luck with everything! Nursing is a truly awesome career and you'll experience much with it.

rosemadder
06-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Here is a sample schedule and some tips (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/84260/tips_for_your_first_year_as_a_nurse.html?cat=5)tha t might help out! Congratulations on becoming a nurse.

TheBean
06-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Yay! Congratulations :cheers:

MyOwnWoman
06-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Hello new grad!

Elaine

I'd be worried about you if you DIDN'T have a little anxiety about doing things correctly and well. Those are natural and healthy feelings. It sounds as if you are concerned about doing the best job possible....and I find that an assest!

Congratulations and carry on!!!!!

Polaris
06-24-2008, 03:56 PM
I learned more in my first month working as an RN than my entire time in nursing school (in a way). Reality is a great teacher. Reality on your own is an excellent teacher.

Good luck! Hang in there. You'll be looking back in no time thinking "what was I so nervous about?"

nattiRN
06-27-2008, 06:45 AM
Congrats on finishing school!
I graduated a year ago and felt so dumb! I was accepted into a ER nurse residency program, 3 months classroom/clinical then 3 months with a preceptor, and I felt like I learned nothing in school! After awhile you learn so much and it becomes second nature. Even after a year there are things that I dont understand or remember. You just look it up or ask someone. One of the best things about where I work is that I have many go-to people who I can ask any type of question.

P/J
11-21-2008, 08:02 PM
I too am now saying GOODBYE to student land.

As of last Friday I finished all my requirements and will graduate at the beginning of December. It feels a bit odd, as I have been working as a nurse (lower grade) for a while now, it just feels like I have been going through the motions to get here. Anyway I get registered in about 3 weeks, just in time for Christmas.

Julie
11-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Well done to you both. I am looking forward to hearing more from you as you move from being a student to being qualified RNs!

JacquiBee
11-24-2008, 12:53 AM
welcome to the RN world. I agree with all the others. Congrats, well done and as PJ said be safe. For months after starting work I would wake up in the night in a panic having forgotten something (even really dumb unimportant things woke me I was so stressed). Make your shedule and list your work, prioritise it somehow, eg must be done, should be done, nice to do and as ABC in terms of patient airway breathing circulation, what I mean by that is the clinically unwell are higher up in the urgency/importance, and then be prepared to change it all as your patient's needs change.
You will get the hang of it:star: