View Full Version : Time Management

Oz30
06-13-2008, 01:18 AM
Hi All

I'm new to this site and was hoping to get some feedback regarding what you do to keep your shift running according to plan (or as close as possible?) I'm fairly new to nursing and feel I need to improve my time management skills.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Oz26

thejester
06-13-2008, 07:14 AM
Hi All

I'm new to this site and was hoping to get some feedback regarding what you do to keep your shift running according to plan (or as close as possible?) I'm fairly new to nursing and feel I need to improve my time management skills.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Oz26

Hi Oz,

At first I would like to say that it's not possible to stay with the plan that you make when you start youre shift. The trick is to learn how to change youre plan when necessary. What's got priority? Make a "to do" list. Take a second to think about what you are doing. When you need to make a walk for a bandage, think about what you are going to need for the next patient and bring that to. It will save you a walk. Try to work fast without the patient noticing it. So stay friendly and relaxed. Make sure that you know what youre collegue is doing, maybe she has got time to help you out with something with more priority.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say... :idea2:

greetz
Jessica

Mother Jones, RN
06-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Hi there. I agree with Jessica. There is one basic rule that governs time management on a patient care unit: There are no rules. There are some days that you just fly by the seat of your pants. Keep patient care as your top priority and everything else will fall into place.

MJ :pepsi:

Oz30
06-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks fo the replies - hopefully things will improve with time.

Oz30

P/J
06-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Agree with all of the other posts. Revise your plan each time you add to it or look at it. Do activities in groups if you can (a round of obs). Time plan for everything, I used to leave doing notes and care plans off my planner, until I had to do them in a hurry for about a week. Now I plan for all expected things, so that when the unexpected occurs I can be ready.

Polaris
06-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Another hint I was given when I first started was to think of everything you might need before you went into a patient room and bring it with you. IN other words..... be prepared. Anticipate needs so you don't have to go back out and get more supplies, meds, etc.

P/J
06-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Another hint I was given when I first started was to think of everything you might need before you went into a patient room and bring it with you. IN other words..... be prepared. Anticipate needs so you don't have to go back out and get more supplies, meds, etc.

Good point Polaris. You soon learn this going into isolation rooms and have to keep getting changed each time you enter.