View Full Version : Stethoscope question

Cranky_Student_Nurse
07-10-2008, 01:37 AM
First, maybe we could have a forum about techie gadgets or things that veteran nurses use that make the job easier: shoes, scrubs, stethoscopes, etc. Unless we already have one, and I overlooked it, LOL

Okay, so I got a gift from my dad for graduating, he basically told me I couold have anything I wanted (equipment wise) and I decided on an electronic stethoscope. The Thinklabs ds32a, to be exact.

http://www.thinklabsmedical.com/

I'm worried about not being able to hear in noisy environments (ie, the ER or whatever) and so I did some looking around and it seems like this one is the one for me. (I named her Lucille.)

Anyone have one? Do you like it, or hate it? Why?

Thanks!

P/J
07-14-2008, 09:31 PM
OOOhw, the big guns!! I have a 'Prestige Medical Traditional Spraque Stethoscope' and haven't had any trouble with it in the ED, in fact I have been able to hear suff that other nurses can't hear. However i usually can't hear what the patient is saying when I am use it. Having soft ear tips helps keep environmental noise out. I also read that having two 'tubes' also increases the volume of sounds. However I was using another nurse's Littmann light touch cardiology the other day (in the ED) and loved it (this will be my new one when I finish this year).

I haven't seen doctors using an electric stethoscope yet, however I haven't worked in Cardiology. If you feel that it is going to help your practice, go ahead! :swordfight: