View Full Version : Mesalt dressings

07-13-2008, 06:35 PM
In the book here - it includes Mesalt wound dressings in the category of Alginates. Alginates are made from seaweed material. When I check about Mesalt, it is not described as containing seaweed. It is described "is made of an absorbent, viscose/polyester nonwoven impregnated with sodium chloride".
Why is it included in the Alginates?
(there is another category called Absorption dressing, but Mesalt is not included).

07-14-2008, 12:40 AM
I would think that the alignates come from "algae" based products- so your seaweed based wicking agents. Could it be that your book is talking about the wicking power and lumping dressings that have the same abilities into one? I always thought that Mesalt dressings were a specific type of guaze ribbon that has been soaked in NS and dried out.
Just my 2 cents:)

07-14-2008, 08:40 PM
I haven't been able to confirm what Mesalt is made of, however it looks like it has the same application as an alginate dressing.
- used on deep wounds
- used on secreting wounds
- promotes moist microenviroment

What is the book you are refering to? And is it saying that mesalt is an alginate, or 'acts' like an alginate (but doesn't form a gel).

07-27-2008, 11:43 PM
Sorry, my last post was inaccurate. I have referred to one of our experts on wound care. Mesalt is not an alginate, or does it act like one. I however they are often used together. Mesalt is a hypertonic dressing used to encourage exudate leading to removal of microbes and debridement.

If you can provide the reference which you are using, it would be appreciated. (isbn number would be best)

07-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Mesalt is simply common salt (sodium Chloride) crystallized on a non-woven gauze. Of course the grade of salt is higher than what you'd find on your table but common salt nontheless. Alginates on the other hand are absorbant dressings made from seaweed that have a higher absorption capacity than regular gauze and these type of dressings form a gel.