View Full Version : Born or made?

Julie
07-06-2007, 06:28 PM
There are plenty of books out there to inform us, but in your opinion, are leaders born or made?

Christopher Dallman
07-11-2007, 01:56 PM
You forgot having it thrust upon them.

KimRN
07-13-2007, 08:47 AM
There are plenty of books out there to inform us, but in your opinion, are leaders born or made?

Some people are born with the attributes of a good leader, but I think you can pick up the traits through experience.

Although I have to agree with Christopher, you CAN have leadership thrust upon you....been there, done that. :)

kate loving shenk
07-14-2007, 09:49 PM

i believe that Emotional Intelligence holds the key to superior leadership.

some of this can be learned, but much of it is innate.

take your EI test here. (http://www.queendom.com/tests/access_page/index.htm?idRegTest=1121)

Jess
09-16-2007, 12:35 PM
In my opinion, I believe leaders are both born and made. Someone could easily be a follower and then have the strength to be a leader. A lot of people I know are born a leader, which is absolutely fantastic. I, myself, am not a leader, but I could be, haha. :D

Caroline
09-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Ooh, tough call.

I think a lot of them are born, but they need some tweaking to reach their "full potential." We all know someone who just does NOT have the people skills to be a leader. Admit it! :)

On the other hand, I think they can also learn to lead, if they decide that is something they really want. Maybe not possible in every case (see above) but I wouldn't entirely rule it out, either.

Jess
09-16-2007, 04:12 PM
It definitely is a tough call. I'm usually a follower just because that's my personality and I rarely lead. However, you only live life once, so an opportunity to lead is great when you do get a chance.

jojodow
09-16-2007, 04:21 PM
I think I'm a leader when I need to be but a team player above all.

I'm not sure I'd ever enjoy being a manager of staff or anything. I don't like to make the calls, I just like having input in them.

As for a leader being born or made...that's a Nature vs Nurture debate isn't it? Whether someone was born with the personality and intelligence or was trained/reared to do it.

Julie
09-17-2007, 03:27 AM
I think I'm a leader when I need to be but a team player above all.

I think that is one of the vital qualities of a leader, being able to be part of a team and also to provide leadership when either called upon or when the situation is right for it.

PixelRN
09-18-2007, 07:27 AM
Leaders can be both born and made, but it's a heck of a lot easier when they are born that way.

When I first saw the title of this thread I at first thought it was going to be about nurses, as in, "Is a great nurse born or made?"

Maybe we should start a new thread...

Jess
09-18-2007, 10:49 AM
That's what I thought this thread was about too! However, if a nurse is a leader, that's more awesome. ;)