View Full Version : Scary Nurses (as in thier practice is scary)

P/J
07-25-2008, 11:10 PM
I have posted this in the students section as students probably see more of this unless you team nurse.

Have you ever been scared of a nurse becasue they have got or done something wrong, and their explanation is way off the point. Some example I have seen or heard are:
1. Looking at an MRI of the brain. Lateral ventricles are visible. The nurse says that the ventricles are gray matter. When queried by the student (that they are actually the ventricles and its where the CSF flows) the nurse says that she is right and for the student to go back to anatomy.

2. Moving a pt with a #NOF. Nurse grabs effected leg and pulls it (to log roll). The patient cries out with pain, says something about hip being broken. Nurse says 'I'm not touching your hip'.

What has everyone else seen?

runningnurse
07-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Yikes!
I've seen a nurse who was falling asleep (on a day shift) while doing meds and charting!

Mother Jones, RN
07-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Falling asleep in broad daylight? Scary!

MJ

Mr Ian
07-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Yikes!
I've seen a nurse who was falling asleep (on a day shift) while doing meds and charting!

Said nurse should put the top back on the Thorazine liquid between patients. Those fumes are effective.

Mother Jones, RN
07-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Said nurse should put the top back on the Thorazine liquid between patients. Those fumes are effective.

I wish we used Thorazine more often. It's good stuff, minus those pesky side effects. :nurse:

MJ :nurse:

Nurse Stella
07-30-2008, 08:10 AM
To me, the scariest is the a nurse in our outpatient clinic. She graduated nursing school, ADN, 2 years ago. After 6 months at the clinic, she went to work in a local hospital on the med/surg unit. 3 months later she came back to the clinic. Why? "I learned everything I need to know, and get bored quickly". OK- I must be pretty stupid. I've been a nurse for 15 years and still don't know everything I need to know!

B.:idea2:

Mother Jones, RN
07-30-2008, 09:57 AM
To me, the scariest is the a nurse in our outpatient clinic. She graduated nursing school, ADN, 2 years ago. After 6 months at the clinic, she went to work in a local hospital on the med/surg unit. 3 months later she came back to the clinic. Why? "I learned everything I need to know, and get bored quickly". OK- I must be pretty stupid. I've been a nurse for 15 years and still don't know everything I need to know!

B.:idea2:

It sounds like she didnít get through her 3-month probationary period.

MJ :pepsi:

Nurse Stella
07-31-2008, 05:09 PM
It sounds like she didnít get through her 3-month probationary period.

That's what I think, too. However, she still maintains that 'I know everything, you don't' attitude.
I just hope she doesn't hurt a patient.

anangel8
08-03-2008, 03:09 PM
The nurses that think they know everything scare me the most!

anangel8
08-03-2008, 03:13 PM
The nurses that think they know everything scare me the most! First of all, they will never admit when they don't know something, which then leads them to make mistakes. And when a mistake is made, they of course won't admit to making a mistake and then they will blame someone else for it. I stay FAR away from those nurses. I refuse to get blamed for other's mistakes.

There is way too much to know about nursing to know everything. Always new things to learn. I actually teach nursing and that is one of the first things I tell my students is that you can't learn everything in nursing school. You will feel like you know nothing...Heck, some days I still feel like I know nothing!!
anangel8
http://nursing-lessons.com

Mr Ian
08-11-2008, 11:00 AM
This thread is just begging for someone to say it... so I will...

Those nurses who think they know it all are annoying to those of us that do.

There. I said it.
:dancing2:

obnurse321
08-20-2008, 05:35 PM
I have seen that falling asleep on the job thing. Some of these stories make me so nervous not only to be a nurse but to be a patient too!