View Full Version : Clinical Hours at your school?

somedaynurse
07-07-2007, 01:23 PM
I start school in August and I just found out we only have 750 clinical hours in our program. Is it me, or does that seem like an awful small number? I would love to know the amount of clinical hours in other students programs. I have tried to look on different school's websites, and I have found very little info.

~Raven

compu_nurse
07-08-2007, 08:54 PM
I start school in August and I just found out we only have 750 clinical hours in our program. Is it me, or does that seem like an awful small number? I would love to know the amount of clinical hours in other students programs. I have tried to look on different school's websites, and I have found very little info.

~Raven

Hi Raven,

I start school in August too, and I'll try to remember (remind me if I forget) to find out how many clinical hours we have. I know we do six four-month semesters, and in each semester we have a practicum, and in three of the semesters we do a concentrated clinical...but I'm not sure how many hours that adds up to.

Alittlenurse
07-10-2007, 10:17 PM
In my bachelor's degree program we end up having roughly 750 hours of clinical time. But we also have a 90 hour integration practicum the senior year too. I think it will be safe to say that there might be a skill or two that you won't have an opportunity to perform on a patient. Unfortunately I think this is more true if you have an area with several smaller hospitals and schools competeing for time.

Jax
07-13-2007, 12:46 AM
Forgive me I'm curious, how long is your degree?

In NZ over a three year degree program we have a compulsory 1500hrs of clinical before we can sit our registration.

KimRN
07-13-2007, 09:18 AM
In my bachelor's degree program we end up having roughly 750 hours of clinical time. But we also have a 90 hour integration practicum the senior year too. I think it will be safe to say that there might be a skill or two that you won't have an opportunity to perform on a patient. Unfortunately I think this is more true if you have an area with several smaller hospitals and schools competeing for time.

That's what us old nurses are for...helping the new nurses get the clinical down pat! :) If I worked with a nurse who had never put down an NG tube, I'd show them the tricks of the trade I picked up and watch/support them while they did it! The clinical skills will come and it isn't the end of the world if you have never put in a foley by graduation. Just ask for a colleague to help! :)

unsinkablemb
09-03-2007, 11:11 PM
I never felt like I had enough clinical hours in my BSN program. Most of my classmates felt the same way. You get the basics in nursing school and then you get into the real nitty gritty on the job. Never a dull moment!!!

jojodow
09-04-2007, 12:31 AM
That sounds about like my program, although I think we had closer to 800. Mine was a 2 yr ADN program. By the last semester...I was ready. I think it depends more on the KIND of clinical experiences you have. Quality is better then Quantity. Seek out the helpful friendly nurses who will grab you to do some new skill. You have to look for those new skills, don't wait until it just happens to your assigned patients.
Good Luck!

KimRN
09-04-2007, 03:50 PM

~Raven

Hmmm...that comes up to 93.75 eight-hour shifts. Sure does not seem like a lot..I think I just came up with an idea for a post!:)

KimRN
09-07-2007, 09:29 AM
That sounds about like my program, although I think we had closer to 800. Mine was a 2 yr ADN program. By the last semester...I was ready. I think it depends more on the KIND of clinical experiences you have. Quality is better then Quantity. Seek out the helpful friendly nurses who will grab you to do some new skill. You have to look for those new skills, don't wait until it just happens to your assigned patients.
Good Luck!

You know, you are right! Unless things have changed, when I was a new grad I was so focused on getting the nursing TASKS right that I could not see the big picture. If you can find a seasoned RN that will help you learn the tasks, when you get into the field you can actually function on a true RN level because you have the physical care down. I wrote on this on Emergiblog - there should be a transition program long enough to allow new graduates to ease into the role.

We really need to treat our new grads better, but that is another topic..

Jess
09-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Hmm, I'm a second year nursing student and during my first year we just had clinical one day a week for 4 months during the second term. It was for 8 hours but I'm not too sure about the total number of hours. For second year, we go to clinical 2 days a week for 8 hours every term.

neuronurse
09-29-2007, 03:07 PM
That's what us old nurses are for...helping the new nurses get the clinical down pat! :) If I worked with a nurse who had never put down an NG tube, I'd show them the tricks of the trade I picked up and watch/support them while they did it! The clinical skills will come and it isn't the end of the world if you have never put in a foley by graduation. Just ask for a colleague to help! :)

I can't tell you how true this is! I have a great preceptor at my new job who didn't even flinch when on the first day I told her that I had never started an IV, foley, had put down one NG, the list went on. Don't stress about clinical hours, they can't even come close to the experience you'll have as a nurse. Once you decide on a specialty or floor and start working you'll have 20 patients with diagnosis to choose from and more opportunities to do the things that you haven't in school and you'll get proficient in them :nurse:.

Jess
09-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Wow, that's awesome! However, for nursing students we have our instructor watching us and I think it helps a lot. :) During my first clinical, I had to do a dressing change and I had my instructor and 4 of my classmates watching me and helping me out. It was awesome because they would help me open up more gauze and my instructor would be telling me what to do, etc.

I hope once I become a nurse other nurses will help me out. :)

jojodow
09-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Hopefully you are lucky enough to find a workplace with good teamwork!

I've always said Nurses should have an extra hand or two surgically implanted. It would make starting an IV easier.

I put the patient to work if they can. "Will you just hold this cap while I twist?":idea2: