View Full Version : Another new student.

Sabra
09-01-2008, 08:43 PM
I am very new in my training. Just finished my first week of prerequisites, in fact.

A little about myself: I'm 29, very newly single mom of three young daughters. I'm living with my mom at the moment and going to school at San Antonio College; it's an ADN program.

Nursing wasn't a childhood dream for me. I'm very much a 21st century person in that I was initially drawn to the field from reading a few nurses' blogs. I had planned to be a stay-at-home mom, but if you look back at the previous paragraph, you'll see that didn't work out too well. I had actually planned to go to nursing school since last midsummer, but a surprise pregnancy threw that off (I miscarried).

I've been wanting for some years now to work with expectant and new mothers, have always felt called to service, and had some very...influential...encounters with nurses along the way, both good and bad, but mostly good. In fact, it was ER nurses when I was losing my baby who were the ones to humanize the experience. (It is hard to think about even now, but I really wish I had gotten the name of the woman who helped me clean up and brought me something clean to wear after I'd bled all over myself, so I could thank her. It was a simple little thing, but it meant so much.)

I am glad to have found something I look forward to doing, though it took me an unconscionably long time. My two really enjoyable classes this semester are Psychology & Ethics, and I am eager to get farther along. This is something where I cannot wait to get started.

(I have a friend and a few acquaintances who are nurses; I hope they're here!)

Mother Jones, RN
09-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Hi Sabra:

Welcome to Nursing Voices. I'm glad you're here. Everyone has a unique story about how they made their way into the nursing profession. I think that what happened to you will make you a better nurse because you know how much the little things mean to patients, especially when they are going through a crisis. Please keep coming back. I'd love to hear more about your days in nursing school.

Best, MJ

MyOwnWoman
09-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Welcome to Nursing Voices.

P/J
09-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Welcome to NV.

TheBean
09-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi Sabra :proud:

indya_louise
09-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Hey Sabra, welcome! All the best for your training and thanks for sharing your story, I look forward to hearing more about how you're getting on :-)

indya