View Full Version : Childbirth at 65 ??

Scalpal Sal
10-23-2008, 03:18 PM
With all the new technology regarding fertility recently, a 65-year-old friend of mine was able to give birth.When she was discharged from the hospital and went home, I went to visit.
'May I see the new baby?' I asked'Not yet,' She said 'I'll make coffee and we can visit for a while first.'
Thirty minutes had passed, and I asked, 'May I see the new baby now?'
'No, not yet,' She said.

After another few minutes had elapsed,

I asked again, 'May I see the baby now?'

'No, not yet,' replied my friend.

Growing very impatient, I asked, 'Well, when can I see the baby?'

'WHEN HE CRIES!' she told me.

'WHEN HE CRIES?' I demanded. 'Why do I have to wait until he CRIES?'

'BECAUSE I FORGOT WHERE I PUT HIM, *O.K.?!!'**

P/J
10-24-2008, 04:53 AM
I like this one!

Going to send this off to my lecturers!

simonperl
11-01-2008, 07:25 AM
very funny!! hahaha !! :aetsch:

--------------------------
Simon Perl
nursing employment (http://www.nursingemploymentfinder.com/)

Mr Ian
11-03-2008, 11:35 PM
A British study titled, "Dementia stigma leaves sufferers alienated (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/health/3150920/Dementia-stigma-leaves-sufferers-alienated.html): Dementia sufferers feel alienated because of a stigma attached to their disease, new research has shown," and reported on in the Telegraph, spotlights how, "Those suffering from the disease say that they have lost friends, had neighbours cross the street to avoid them and have also heard their symptoms dismissed as 'just old age' by professionals."
Source (http://www.craegmoor.co.uk/news/industry/18821553/dementia_stigma_makes_life_harder_for_sufferers.as px)

Scalpal Sal
11-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Sorry Mr Ian - did this offend ??

For goodness sake - we as professionals are renown for having a warped sense of humour - its part of the survival factor for the jobs we do !!

If this kind of "humour" upsets people, maybe they shouldn't read the posts. "Laughter is the best medicine after all !!"

It was certainly not meant to upset anyone - in fact it sums up my day in that I cant remember why i have walked into a room, and what I intended to do when there !!
Its called "laughing at oneself "

So lighten up a little - it wasn't aimed at dementia sufferers - just a laugh at myself and other absentminded people who find themselves in this and similar situations !!

Rant over !!

Mr Ian
11-10-2008, 06:51 AM
Thank you Sally. I'm not 'offended' - but I'm on a quest.

Laughing at oneself is commendable and I do it a lot. And yes I understand and relate very well to the 'dark humour' of health care - it's a survival thing.

But I'm raising awareness of stigma in mental health - and also the fact that tho this is a web forum for nurses - it is in the public domain and (not to drone on about it again) it strikes me the same way we dissected Brit Spears in another thread - in public forum.

Nurses are quite happy to defend against the stigma of being stereotypical dolly birds with not much brains who just do doctors bidding and flutter eyelids and have been quite vociferous in the past in stomping this imagery out. We've spent much time, sweat and money to raise the profile of nursing as a competent and autonomous profession in it's own right over the last few decades so let's not get too precious about ourselves, stigma and tolerating humour.

Stigma is notably the single most biggest factor that contributes to ongoing problems in dealing with mental health issues. Even more so that the mental health condition itself sometimes.

People with mental health conditions find themselves discriminated against in no end of ways - from employment bias to social exclusion and being ostracised by family - all because people don't understand anything more than what's put in the public domain - and there's a serious global push to redress that imbalance.

Mocking the symptoms of age-onset memory loss is stigmatising old people as being mentally incapacitated and also reducing the traumatic experience of dementia down to being something to make fun of.
We wouldn't as nurses make a joke about a miscarriage or about someone having MS losing bowel control or someone turning cyanotic while having a heart attack.

On the converse - imagine waking up and not remembering who you'd been married to the last 50 years - or your children's names or what they looked like - or if you'd even had any. To "lose" your mental faculties is not something that strikes me as funny and I'm sure every nurse including yourself will agree - health is a serious business.
But mental health tends to bear the brunt and provides for much humour - as well as sensationalism - in our world with little or no sense of thought for the person/people who actually suffer.

Yes, it's likely a wide number of us will get it and I hope when we do - that the stigma is gone and people don't talk to me in that stupid childlike maternal patronising way that people tend to do with old people - cos they think they're 'not all there'. I wonder

As for the need for humour to cope - laughter does help us cope with the worst of human suffering in our jobs. So how everyone expects nurses to cope while not having a sense of humour is difficult for me to imagine but any suggestions welcomed.

However, our public display of such humour surely isn't promoting the best interests of the patient and can only be likened to someone on an armed services forum posting racially prejudicial humour for public view.

I thank you again for giving me opportunity to raise this issue and I make no apology for appearing to be "Mr PC gone too far".

No offence is intended - just raising awareness...

[... in a pretty challenging way, I know]

P/J
11-11-2008, 05:35 AM
...But I'm raising awareness of stigma in mental health - and also the fact that tho this is a web forum for nurses - it is in the public domain and (not to drone on about it again) it strikes me the same way we dissected Brit Spears in another thread - in public forum....

I think I have said it before; mental health, the casserole free illness.

Mr Ian
11-12-2008, 10:43 AM
I know I've said this before: Australia is not renowned for it's mental health nurse training.

malenurse354
01-08-2013, 12:14 AM
I like the joke=)...I'm getting forgetful nowadays that I wish all my things have ringtones