View Full Version : Help with a homework assignment

JRN
11-08-2008, 11:01 PM
I am doing an assignment for school. I have to communicate with a nurse and find out what nursing is like in your part of the world. If anyone is willing to help please do so.I live in Mississippi and have been a nurse for ten years. I have been working on the Med/Surg unit of my hospital. I am presently taking my last two classes at the University of South Alabama(online). I graduate in December with a Bachelors Degree.Any help with this assignment would be greatly appreciated.

P/J
11-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Hi, and Welcome to NV.

You might get more responses if you post some of the questions that you want answered.

Look forward to hearing from you.

JRN
11-11-2008, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the reply. I just need to know how you feel about nursing ,what part of the state you are writing from, w

Mother Jones, RN
11-11-2008, 08:38 AM
I live on the East Coast. Nursing is a wonderful profession. We get to really help people in need. There is a downside to being a nurse. The hours suck, we are worked to death, and our employers treat us shamelessly. Other than that, it's a great job.

JRN
11-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the response and I do understand. I work 12 hour shifts (which usually means 13 or 14 hours)and am also a full time Mom and student. I also love nursing. I got into it later in life and have never regretted a moment. It is a wonderful feeling when I help a patient and they truly appreciate my efforts. Then I get the ones that no matter what you do it's not enough.I see those patients as a challenge. If I can get them to say thank you I feel I have made a big accomplishment. If I can't, then I see it as a lesson learned: you can't please everyone all the time.

P/J
11-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Nurse in Melbourne, State of Victoria, Australia.

I am a Div 2 (EN, LPN) nurse, so my scope of practice includes most things except medication management for patients, and I work under the supervision of an RN.

We have nursing ratios in the public hospital system, so we generally nurse 1:4. In the private hospitals it is usually about 1:5 (or team nursing 2:10) depending on accurity. Like the rest of the world there is a nursing shortage. As I am studying I work for a nursing agency and I select what days and shifts that I work, as a result I work at a lot of hospitals. I generally work only afternoons and nights, as I find it easier to work these shifts. I find that nurses make the workplace, if there is a good team the shift generally works well.