View Full Version : Amniotic fluid embolism

geenaRN
07-15-2007, 12:23 AM
In our unit today (CCU) we had a mom who'd had an amniotic fluid embolism.

L&D nurses... how common is this? She seized and they stat sectioned the baby, who is fine. But she then coded and they had to do CPR while the OB sewed her back up.

She is now off life support, but she's not "in there." Her eyes are open, but they don't see anything.

She has another son who looked to be around 2-3 years old. The family brought him in to see her. I'm not sure I agree with letting such a young child see his mother looking the way she looks, and I noticed that he would not look at her. He turned away and stared at the wall.

The look on his face just may haunt me forever.

It is one of the saddest things I have ever seen. I can't imagine having such a severe neurologic insult and never seeing my children grow up, and them not living with ME, or growing up with me.

Honestly, by this point in my career, there isn't much I bring home with me anymore. But I have been thinking about this woman all evening and I feel the most overwhelming sadness.

It makes me not even want to get pregnant again, even though I'd like another child.

I know it's rare. But I also know it can happen. We don't see new moms very often in ICU, but the ones we have seen have ALWAYS recovered fully and gone on to live their lives... women who bled too much after delivery, had to have emergent hysterectomies, etc... never anything like this.

:(

kate loving shenk
07-15-2007, 09:09 PM
an amniotic fluid embolism is rare.

the pathophysiology: Amniotic fluid and fetal cells enter the maternal circulation, possibly triggering an anaphylactic reaction to fetal antigens.

and the incidence: In the US: Incidence of AFE is estimated at 1 case per 8,000-30,000 pregnancies.
Internationally: Incidence is similar to that of the United States.

so sorry to hear about this. think of ways to take care of yourself.

Labor Nurse
07-25-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm curious, did this mom receive Cytotec(misoprostil)?

geenaRN
07-25-2007, 11:52 PM
I'm curious, did this mom receive Cytotec(misoprostil)?

I read her chart... it only mentioned pitocin, not cytotec.