View Full Version : Registration of Health Professionals

11-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Australia has been talking about national registration for years now, and it looks nurses may be the first group to go through. As it now stands if you are registered in one state (Australia has 6 states and 2 territories) you can't work in any other state until you are registered there too. With a number of health emergencies in the past years (Bali bombing, bush fires, floods) nurse, doctors, etc have been unable to go and help in other states until emergency registration could be obtained (taking weeks).

I was wondering how registration works in other countries? You might even add how you are credentialed.

11-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Here in Canada, we write one exam across the nation. You have your licenses of course, and they are transferable across the different provinces, with a little extra paperwork of course. Quebec is it's own entity, needing a separate exam along with the requirement that you be completely fluent in French. But in the long run it isn't too bad. Each province also has it's own licensing board that regulates your practice and the like.
Pretty straight foreward really. I hope Australia takes a look at our system and implements it for your sake:) It'll be very beneficial!

11-21-2008, 03:11 AM
Fluent in French!! I guess I won't be working there then.

11-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Yeah they are a bit odd in that respect...the rest of Canada is happy with English;)

01-05-2009, 06:05 AM
Pretty simple in the UK as we are run by the NHS. I think you can transfer to any other hospital/department in a different region, as long as you pass your interview. I've seen nurses on my ward browsing the nhs careers website many a time.

As for emergencies, it's very different here b/c were a lot smaller I think. The London bombings as an example, we all just rally together.