View Full Version : Triage....eeeek

MeghanMU
07-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Hey all!! I'll be starting triage this month (at my hospital, they make you wait at least 6 months...I pushed it off for a year, but I suppose it's time). I don't really want to do it, to me it's just too scary. It just seems like so much responsibility, and I also don't feel like I'll be very good at standing up to people who yell at me. I don't know what my block is here, I'm usually pretty flexible, and good at facing problems head on. So any advice on how to get over it? Or any good triage advice in general? Thanks!

Meghan

geenaRN
07-18-2007, 12:40 AM
I've never done triage, so I don't know what it's like, but I will say that the stuff in life that I obsessively worry about almost never turns out to be as bad as I imagined it might be.

I dreaded orienting to be a charge nurse. I put my boss off every time she asked until she decided to just train me whether I wanted to or not. I was scared to death, and almost everything you wrote applies to being charge as well (increased responsibility, what do I do when someone mad wants to speak to the person in charge, etc). There were some situations that I could have handled better, but I learned from them and went on with life. And there were always other nurses that I could gather opinions from.

Good luck! You'll be just fine!

MyOwnWoman
07-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Triage, such a creative creature. It's pretty good that your hospital requires at least 6 months before they put you out in triage alone.

These are My Own Woman's rules for triage.

1. Just because they are wailing the loudest; doesn't mean they are the sickest.

2. Just because they yell at you, doesn't mean they are the sickest.

3. If the person looks like poop and is hardly saying anything, think about that person being a pretty sick cookie.

4. Remember, you are never alone in triage. You have nurses in the back that will always give you back up.

5. Final rule of triage. NEVER LET THEM SEE YOU SWEAT.

Good luck!

sue-rn
07-22-2007, 07:14 PM
My favorite quote for triage ... You will be going to a room based on how soon I think you are likely to die ... are you sure you want to go first??

Of course ... not to be said outloud ... but it is kinda the plan ... just use all of your assessment skills and trust your instinct when you think someone just looks "bad" ...

Wendy
08-03-2007, 11:15 PM
I am always in charge, so I have not been to triage for a few years. However,I never say to the triage nurse "if they aren't dying or bleeding to death don't call me" Hopefully that doesn't happen where you work. My philosophy is that the triage nurse's decision should be respected, no matter what. You will be the one seeing the patients, the charge nurse can't. Just stick to your guns if that happens.
Just by saying you are worried about it tells me that you will do fine. You realize the responsibility involved and want to do a good job so you must be very conscientious. You will be great, believe me.

Polaris
09-30-2007, 07:31 PM
Hope it's going well. Are you using a 5 level triage system?