View Full Version : Question about nursing education and occupation

ngilon
01-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Hello all,

My question is whether a registered nurse can work in specialized fields of nursing without acquiring any additional formal education. For instance: Pediatric Nurse, Nurse Anesthetist, etc.

Thank you!
NG

runningnurse
01-08-2009, 09:49 AM
As far as I am aware you don't need specific speicalized courses for pediatrics, otherwise things like the OR/ER/ Nurse Anesthetist etc need further study-usually after a year of actually working depending on your facilities policies. Check with your local hospitals and see if you can tailor your nursing education towards your goals.
Good Luck:D

P/J
01-08-2009, 07:04 PM
A lot is dependent on are area of work, you will often get employment in an area. However you will be expected to get some kind of qualification if you are going to continue after about a year, or move into a more senior position. The whole idea is that they want nurses to stay within a section, instead of loosing you after few years.

You need to check with the relevant facilities as to their policy on required qualifications.

Julie
01-09-2009, 07:59 AM
I would think it depends on the geographical area you are in and the area of work. In the UK, while you can get a job in paeds or mental health without additional qualifications, you couldn't progress in that field without them.

pronurse45
12-23-2012, 10:52 PM
In our setting, you can work in the special area based on their evaluation of your performance. If they see that you are competent enough to work in high risk areas, they will assign you in critical areas, but if you’re not then you just have to settle first in low risk areas, then hone your skills further for you to be assign to special areas the next time!