View Full Version : Mentoring New Nursing Leaders.

Mother Jones, RN
07-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Every year I notice how much younger the new nurses look, and how many more gray hairs I have on my head. It won't be long before my generation of nurses is out of the picture and the new nurses will be leading the way. How do you think we can mentor our new leaders? What can we do to get them ready for their new roles when we are no longer practicing nursing?

Julie
07-24-2007, 07:39 PM
This is a really important topic, because I think that all too often we expect people new to a leadership role to just get on with it and then wonder why things don't go to plan. We have begun to get groups of people in their first leadership role together and use an action learning approach to get them to discuss issues and learn from each other. I can give more details if anyone is interested.

kate loving shenk
07-27-2007, 09:12 AM
this is a great and important topic and thank you for it, MJ.

i like to simplify things. i believe nurses are healers. i believe my teaching role is to help other nurses to "get it."

most importantly, we have the potential to help patients to calm down, to feel strength from our presence, and to feel our love.

our younger nurses seem to perceive that the source of power lies elsewhere.

not to say that this is an ego trip (ego=edging god out) but that quite the opposite is true: we are amazing healers and we can call on the unseen forces when we get in over our heads--which is 100% of the time!!!!!!!!!!!

so that's what my mission as a nurse is--to teach this simple fact. other than that, i go where the wind blows.