View Full Version : second language, second career

ilumi
01-26-2009, 09:44 PM
is it right to decide to study overseas?
is it smart to make that decition to settle down in a courntry where the people around you dont speak your language?
and also is it right to change :withstupid:the career as a nurse?

after several lectures, especially physiology and anatomy lectures, i found i am totally a idiot:withstupid:, all these medical terminologies make me frustrated.

i like to be a nurse, some day maybe i will be proud of being a nurse and enjoy my work, but i never imagined that i will have such a long long way to go......

P/J
01-27-2009, 07:32 AM
is it right to decide to study overseas?
is it smart to make that decision to settle down in a country where the people around you don't speak your language?
and also is it right to change :withstupid:the career as a nurse?

after several lectures, especially physiology and anatomy lectures, i found i am totally a idiot:withstupid:, all these medical terminologies make me frustrated.

i like to be a nurse, some day maybe i will be proud of being a nurse and enjoy my work, but i never imagined that i will have such a long long way to go......

You need to look at why you decided to study overseas. Does it provided a better education, greater opportunities, better job prospects?

Many people change their careers to nursing, and from many different fields. In my class alone we had microbiologists, musicians, artists, accountants, psychologists. So it is not unusual for people to change.

Don't feel bad about medical terminology, everyone finds it challenging, and no matter where you are the terms are going to be the same (they are universal terms world wide). You just have to learn them like you did with new words when you were 5 years old. As you move through the course you will probably find that study groups are of benefit.

Work outside your usual group during pracs. I have seen students bloom when they were away from their friends and were 'forced' to contribute in discussions and find the correct answer. Everyone is there to learn, and there is no point just going with the flow when you don't understand something. You need to ask.

Don't forget that we are always here if you need us:idea2: