View Full Version : Qeuestion bout IM injections?

dragonfly_nurse
01-27-2009, 12:48 PM
I hate giving shots b/c I always second guess myself if I'm doing it right or wrong.

I usually give them in the buttocks. I divide the butt cheek into a window pane and give the injection into the upper outside area. Was anyone else taught this way? Am I doing it right?? I guess I just need piece of mind.

Also would like to hear from you and see some examples of how you chart your injections.

Thanks so much

Julie
01-27-2009, 01:16 PM
While you are correct about the general area for an IM injection given into the buttock there are other areas that it can be given (depending on the drug and size of patient) and there is a bit of anatomy and physiology you should know.

Gluteus medius muscle

The gluteus medius muscle, which is also known as the ventrogluteal site, is the third commonly used site for IM injections. The correct area for injection can be determined in the following manner. Place the heel of the hand of the greater trochanter of the femur with fingers pointing towards the patient's head. The left hand is used for the right hip and vice versa. While keeping the palm of the hand over the greater trochanter and placing the index finger on the anterior superior iliac spine, stretch the middle finger dorsally palpating for the iliac crest and then press lightly below this point. The triangle formed by the iliac crest, the third finger and index finger forms the area suitable for intramuscular injection.

Determining which site is most appropriate will depend upon the patient's muscle density at each site, the type and nature of medication you wish to administer, and of course the patient's preferred site for injections.

This is the link (http://www.enotes.com/nursing-encyclopedia/intramuscular-injection), and of course there are others on the internet

P/J
01-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Although still used by many nurses, this technique is not considered best practice in many facilities. Due to the proximity of the scatic nerve, the accepted technique is now Ventrogluteal or the modified Gluteus medius. I found this great nursing site which runs through them: Irish Nurses Organisation (http://www.ino.ie/DesktopModules/Articles/ArticlesView.aspx?TabID=6194&ItemID=5676&mid=18213)

I personally 'Z track' every IM injection, that way you don't have to remember which require it and which don't.