View Full Version : Dont know what to pick/do!

jlf
02-20-2009, 02:12 PM
I tested into the RN program at Apollo College, but unfortunately came up 14K short to get in. Because of that, I had to do some rearranging of my life. I have the option of going to night school @ Apollo to either take the Medical Assistant course or the Pharmacy Technician course. I just want to be in the medical field. I HATE the job I am in right now, but need to keep it because I have bills to pay and noone to help me out.

My question is which one do I choose? They are both the same in length, cost, ect. I know I would eventually like to become a RN nurse. This way I can work in a non dead end job while eventually obtaing my RN degree....

Any advice is welcome!!

P/J
02-20-2009, 04:18 PM
I would have initially said MA, however from what I have been able to see it can be a real challenge to find a job at its completion, and the pay isn't very good. MA would probably give you the greatest reference to nursing, but it dosen't look very promising.

It might be better to try the other option, at least you can get familiar with diseases and start to understand why medicaiton is given.

Anyone else?:idea2:

runningnurse
02-20-2009, 04:35 PM
I would look into maybe an LPN program or something like that. I had a student who did her MOA (medical office assistant) and found that she would apply for jobs but not get them because she had no experience-basically a catch 22, need a job to get experience but need experience to get the job.
I would also check out if the school you applied to offers any financial suppport, either through scholarships, bursaries, or loans.
I don't know if pharmacy tech would be a way to go, seeing as they are limited to dosing out medication etc-rather than getting into the nitty gritty of diseases and the like. But it would give you great customer service/people skills.

Hope this helps some.

jrobison
03-06-2009, 08:31 PM
I also think trying to A. either find a cheaper school, or B. get your LPN. My question to you is have you looked into financial aide programs? My nursing school is 100% paid for by a government funding program. Its avaiable in most states. Its called WIA or Workmans Inforcement Act. If you qualify you pay for nothing. They pick up tuition, books, and uniforms. If Apollo is a private school you might cap your money alotment out and have to pay for some. Do some research and check it out.

Hope that helps.