View Full Version : Cost to become a nurse

03-26-2009, 05:39 AM
Today we were discussing (in our tea room) about working in other countries, and cost of registration/additional tests. According to our Irish nurses it now costs non-uk nurses 2000 to initially register (5year registration?). I have a feeling that this includes tests such as English.

So how much does it cost you to register (and how long).

Nurse Stella
03-26-2009, 07:05 AM
In my northern New England state, the cost to renew our license is $100 ( 68.73 according to the converter I found). That's for 2 years. We also have to have 30+ hours of continuing education. I just paid $250 for a 2 day, 14 hour CEU program. I believe 15 years ago it was over $300 to initially take my boards. It was the first year they were done on computers.

03-27-2009, 02:10 AM
In BC (western Canada) it's $360/year (so ~203 GBP). It doesn't include any extra education sessions or anything like that (those you pay for yourself/get education leave)I don't know what other places have but it definitely would be interesting to find out.

06-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Do you think it would be cheaper to go through nursing school in Japan or the United States?

01-07-2013, 11:28 PM
very costly which is why you really have to prepare your pocket!

03-15-2014, 03:52 PM
The cost of studying will vary depending on the education facility and the course you choose. Generally, registered nursing and midwifery university degrees have higher fees than a diploma level qualifications.

A range of financial assistance options are available:

Higher Education Contribution Scheme (HECS) (external site)
Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) (PDF)
Youth Allowance, and Austudy or ABSTUDY (external site)

06-10-2014, 04:54 AM
The cost of nursing degree is variable and changes from state to state and school to school.

For a Diploma program from the Baptist Health Systems School of Health Professions, Phoenix Campus, the RN program has prerequisites of 19 hours which can be obtained at a community college for about $1,010 and an application fee of $100. The program is 2 years long, the tuition is paid by a cohort agreement through the school, with a work/loan agreement, where the tuition is paid if the student agrees to work for the hospital system for three years following completion of the course.

An Associates of Applied Science at San Antonio College is 72 hours, using the 2008 tuition rates the cost for the 72 hour program is $7,314, but that does not include books. A recent study found a conservative estimate of student book cost per year was over $1,500. This is also very variable dependent on which books are available used, and some books in a nursing program are listed as optional.

For a BSN program I chose The University of Alabama, for tuition alone for 4 years (130 hours) for a state resident it would cost $27,616 and for a non-resident of Alabama it cost $58, 176. Again you have to add the price of books.

A BSN at a top level school such as University of Pennsylvania, which has long been regarded as the US' premier nursing school, the tuition and fees would be $143,664 for a 4 year program.

Again, allowing $1,500 a year for books and equipment would add $3,000 - 6000 to any of those figures, and if you figure a bare minimum $10,000 a year living expense for most cities you need to add $20K to $30K

So figure a range from $1110 and a 3 year work agreement to $30, 314 to about $183,670. And those are rough estimates and don't include probably all the cost that may be incurred. The range is very wide dependent on where you choose to attend school.