Nursing Voices Forum  Meet other nurses, share your nursing knowledge and experiences
Nursing Talk from Around the Worlds

Go Back   Nursing Voices Forum Meet other nurses, share your nursing knowledge and experiences > General Nursing Topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-24-2008, 06:06 PM
KimRN's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 391
KimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geenaRN View Post
Wow. I'd be more uncomfortable snorting jelly than I would having the tube down. Sometimes I lube the tube with Lidocaine jelly and go slowly.

Ok, now that I think about it, that probably doesn't work well in terms of numbing the area.
I learned the snort trick from an ER doctor and it's amazing how well it works. The nose is the worst part. Once it gets to the back of the throat and the pt swallows, it's home free!
__________________
The ER is the only place where you are rewarded for efficiency by getting more patients!

Kim
http://www.emergiblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Elocin22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I get some pleasure out of packing wounds. I especially like to take a particular co-worker who has developed an extreme sensitivity to wounds, just to see how white he gets.

My other favorite thing to do is to clean out ears and between toes. I get excited when I see a pt w/ big ol' ear goobers or nasty inner-toe funk. (I know, I know... It's pleasing in a vomit inducing way.) It's almost as satisfying as peeling tape or untangling IV lines.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-29-2008, 05:43 AM
P/J's Avatar
P/J P/J is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 348
P/J will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to P/J
Default

Ooooooo untangling IV lines, its like pealing glue off your hands, you just can't do it enough.
__________________
'Think not of yourself as the architect of your career but as the sculptor. Expect to have to do a lot of hard hammering and chiselingand scraping and polishing. - BC Forbes'
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Mother Jones, RN's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 425
Mother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond reputeMother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond reputeMother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond reputeMother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond reputeMother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond reputeMother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond reputeMother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond reputeMother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond reputeMother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond reputeMother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond reputeMother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elocin22 View Post
My other favorite thing to do is to clean out ears and between toes. I get excited when I see a pt w/ big ol' ear goobers or nasty inner-toe funk. (I know, I know... It's pleasing in a vomit inducing way.) It's almost as satisfying as peeling tape or untangling IV lines.
Eeewww!
__________________
Sanity is madness put to good use. George Santayana.

http://nurse-ratcheds.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-29-2008, 04:54 PM
geenaRN's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: California
Posts: 390
geenaRN has a reputation beyond reputegeenaRN has a reputation beyond reputegeenaRN has a reputation beyond reputegeenaRN has a reputation beyond reputegeenaRN has a reputation beyond reputegeenaRN has a reputation beyond reputegeenaRN has a reputation beyond reputegeenaRN has a reputation beyond reputegeenaRN has a reputation beyond reputegeenaRN has a reputation beyond reputegeenaRN has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P/J View Post
Ooooooo untangling IV lines, its like pealing glue off your hands, you just can't do it enough.
If I could hire you as my personal IV untangler, I would!
__________________
code blog
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-30-2008, 12:44 AM
LesleyJoy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I have thought of something else. Because of my job title, I no longer have a patient load and so the 'tasks' of nursing are, for me, few and far between. There is one thing, however, that I do that is directly patient-related: I scribe for codes and trauma system entries. Really. I do! And I like it! I find great pleasure in watching the flow of care to ensure that everything that can be done is done - and in a timely manner, too! The first couple of times I gently asked for information startled the nurses and physicians. It was not long, however, before my value as "over-see-er" was publicly acknowledged and soon welcomed! Just thinking about the increased safety and efficiency my involvement has brought makes me smile.

Joy
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Mother Jones, RN's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 425
Mother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond reputeMother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond reputeMother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond reputeMother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond reputeMother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond reputeMother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond reputeMother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond reputeMother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond reputeMother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond reputeMother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond reputeMother Jones, RN has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesleyJoy View Post
I have thought of something else. Because of my job title, I no longer have a patient load and so the 'tasks' of nursing are, for me, few and far between. There is one thing, however, that I do that is directly patient-related: I scribe for codes and trauma system entries. Really. I do! And I like it! I find great pleasure in watching the flow of care to ensure that everything that can be done is done - and in a timely manner, too! The first couple of times I gently asked for information startled the nurses and physicians. It was not long, however, before my value as "over-see-er" was publicly acknowledged and soon welcomed! Just thinking about the increased safety and efficiency my involvement has brought makes me smile.

Joy
This job would drive a lot of us crazy, but it's an important task that needs to be done. It's good that we all like doing different things.

MJ
__________________
Sanity is madness put to good use. George Santayana.

http://nurse-ratcheds.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-30-2008, 11:10 AM
LesleyJoy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Jones, RN View Post
...It's good that we all like doing different things.

MJ
Yeah. I know I'm somewhat peculiar...

When I was in the field, I was never more pleased than when I was first on scene at a wreck or fire or some sort of catastrophe. The challenge of triaging and then emergent patient care was immensely satisfying. Of course, those times, along with the more routine calls, were soul-searing. Sometimes the memory of them wakes me up out of a sound sleep. Certain sights, smells or sounds will also call to mind those events of intense need. I can still see the toddler in the back of the smashed car. I can see other children crumpled in cars or limp by the side of the road. I can see a law enforcement officer crying behind a fire truck. I can see what was left of a man who died alone in his home. I can see the shocked looked on the faces of the first responders who cannot understand the volume of blood from a gunshot to the head. I can still hear the wail of an old man when he understood his wife of 63 years had died. I can see a firefighter holding the cast-off helmet of a fallen crew member, the smell of death on his turnouts. And the eyes of a mother looking at me over the body of her 9-year-old son haunt me to this day.

Now that I am too old to be in the field, and now that I am no longer interested in providing direct patient care in the hospital setting, I try to take care of those who work in the hospital and those who bring their patients or loved ones to this place.

Perhaps one day I shall write a book about the people I have been privileged to serve and the situations in which I have been involved.

Yeah. I am peculiar!

Joy
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-30-2008, 01:07 PM
geenaRN's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: California
Posts: 390
geenaRN has a reputation beyond reputegeenaRN has a reputation beyond reputegeenaRN has a reputation beyond reputegeenaRN has a reputation beyond reputegeenaRN has a reputation beyond reputegeenaRN has a reputation beyond reputegeenaRN has a reputation beyond reputegeenaRN has a reputation beyond reputegeenaRN has a reputation beyond reputegeenaRN has a reputation beyond reputegeenaRN has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesleyJoy View Post
I can still see the toddler in the back of the smashed car. I can see other children crumpled in cars or limp by the side of the road. I can see a law enforcement officer crying behind a fire truck. I can see what was left of a man who died alone in his home. I can see the shocked looked on the faces of the first responders who cannot understand the volume of blood from a gunshot to the head. I can still hear the wail of an old man when he understood his wife of 63 years had died. I can see a firefighter holding the cast-off helmet of a fallen crew member, the smell of death on his turnouts. And the eyes of a mother looking at me over the body of her 9-year-old son haunt me to this day.

Joy
Well, I'm sure I needed that cry. Anyone else?
__________________
code blog
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-30-2008, 01:31 PM
KimRN's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 391
KimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond reputeKimRN has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesleyJoy View Post
I have thought of something else. Because of my job title, I no longer have a patient load and so the 'tasks' of nursing are, for me, few and far between. There is one thing, however, that I do that is directly patient-related: I scribe for codes and trauma system entries. Really. I do! And I like it! I find great pleasure in watching the flow of care to ensure that everything that can be done is done - and in a timely manner, too! The first couple of times I gently asked for information startled the nurses and physicians. It was not long, however, before my value as "over-see-er" was publicly acknowledged and soon welcomed! Just thinking about the increased safety and efficiency my involvement has brought makes me smile.

Joy
Oh my - I LOVE being the scribe for codes! Having every little detail neatly and succinctly down on paper - it must fulfill my obsessive compulsive self!! I live to chart!
__________________
The ER is the only place where you are rewarded for efficiency by getting more patients!

Kim
http://www.emergiblog.com
Reply With Quote
  
 

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006-2012 Nursing Voices